Deconstructing the myths of onboarding
A question we often hear is – ‘My HR suite already has an onboarding module. Isn’t that enough?’
The answer is…maybe. It depends on your priorities, budget, goals, and a handful of factors we’ll review below.
A common onboarding limitation of HR suites is mobile functionality, a considerable omission considering the average person spends 3 hours and 15 minutes per day on their phone.
Mobile-first, web-based onboarding software empowers your team to onboard new hires directly from their mobile device of choice. There’s no app to install. New hires simply receive an email or text with a link to kick off their onboarding journey and their information flows seamlessly from your ATS through the onboarding software and onto your HRIS.
Mobile-first onboarding has been critical to our clients who want to:
- Effortlessly send new hires ‘welcome to the team texts’ and other engaging communication, especially before their first day
- Enable their new hires, including ones without a computer at home, to complete their onboarding paperwork directly on their phone
- Accelerate productivity by having new hires complete their onboarding paperwork before their first day
- Have new hire security badges ready for them the moment they start (new hires simply snap a picture and upload it directly to their personal portal)
Another common limitation is customizability. Many HR suites lack the functionality to create flexible, customizable onboarding workflows based on role, location, and business unit.
Customization has proven to be very important to our clients. It has enabled them to create experiences for each new hire and automate them, so they can provide a personalized experience for each new employee without overwhelming HR. And, increasingly important, the cost component doesn’t need to change by adding more experiences, more workflows and more interaction with your candidate.
- Create customized workflows based on role and location?
- Build a highly repeatable process flow with nearly limitless flexibility?
- Handle multiple brands and provide an experience specific to each brand?
- Embed photos and videos to convey your company culture, mission, and values?
- Provide a local onboarding experience for each new hire?
Compliance vs. Engagement
The main question to consider here is – is your HR suite providing an onboarding experience that’s compliant and engaging? Think of a government website. Is it compliant? Absolutely. Is it engaging, intuitive, and a delight to navigate? Not so much.
Excellent onboarding is a fine balance of compliance and engagement. Onboarding is the time to continuously affirm a new hire’s YES! to joining your company and make sure all the paperwork is completed.
Consider your current HR suite onboarding through two lenses – compliance and engagement:
- Does it enable your teams to be compliant with federal, state, and local laws?
- Is it candidate-centric?
- Does it provide an onboarding experience that’s engaging and effortless? Does it make new hires feel great about their decision to join your company?
Great onboarding has been proven to make 69% of employees more likely to stay with an organization for three years. Our clients have reported that mobile-first, customization, and engagement have been the biggest advantages of making the switch to Click Boarding’s onboarding platform. One client even saw their onboarding NPS increase from a pedestrian 35 to a world-class 70+. Check out the full case study here.