What is Digital Offboarding?
As human resource professionals, we’re all seasoned in the implications and considerations around onboarding – the critical program that sets the tone for your employees’ relationship with your company. And today, in our ever-evolving virtual world, the demand for onboarding remotely and digitally has increased significantly.
But what about offboarding? Typically, manual offboarding has been a more traditional part of the process. Now, offboarding can be done virtually and remotely too.
All employee journeys have a beginning, middle, and end. Some employees stay for days, some for months, and many for years but all employees complete this journey.
- Beginning: Onboarding
- Middle: Crossboarding (changing roles/departments)
- End: Offboarding
While onboarding is vital, offboarding is just as important to preserving and bolstering your company’s reputation, managing your employees’ experience, and fostering the return of boomerang employees.
Well-structured offboarding can be the difference between waking up to a Twitter rant from a disgruntled terminated employee slamming your company and welcoming back a former employee when they want to return.
At Click Boarding, we’ve evolved offboarding to a new level. Our approach goes beyond traditional offboarding by simplifying the multi-step process with streamlined digitization. With digital offboarding, the manual aspects most HR teams experience have been replaced with time-saving automated workflows, proper paperwork, helpful reminders, and more.
Let’s take a deeper dive into offboarding, common missteps, and best practices:
What is digital offboarding?
Digital offboarding is the next-generation management of employee exits in a thoughtful, thorough, and consistent way. It includes all the processes and procedures involved in employee exits due to voluntary resignation, layoffs, or termination.
Why does digital offboarding matter?
Employees leave companies for many reasons and the offboarding experience is often inconsistent, lacking empathy, or simply unpleasant. Poor offboarding is kind of like telling your employees, even the great ones you hope to return someday, ‘don’t let the door hit you on the way out!’
Mismanaged offboarding opens the company up to negative word of mouth, legal risks, and a host of unnecessary business risks.
What are common offboarding missteps?
- Inconsistent processes: Many companies leave offboarding as an afterthought and let each manager handle the process without oversight.
- Inconsistent communication: Offboarded employees want to understand what to expect. The wrong tone, incorrect information being disseminated, and limited information are common missteps.
- Remote employees: The extra hurdles of offboarding remote employees aren’t managed, including communication, access shutoff, equipment return, expectation management, and employee feelings.
- Security loopholes: Inconsistent offboarding can lead to security loopholes, both physical and digital, leaving your company vulnerable (especially to angry offboarded employees).
What are digital offboarding best practices?
- Consistent Processes: Consistent offboarding, for on-site and remote contributors, ensures each transitioning employee experiences a well-thought-out process with automated triggers for tasks such as asset retrieval and services shut off.
- Consistent Communication: Employee exits can be stressful, especially during times of mass layoffs. Consistent communication helps exiting employees understand what to expect, when, and how. It also ensures each employee receives the same messaging and information to minimize uncertainty.
- Appropriate Tone: The importance of how you make employees feel during their exit can’t be emphasized enough. Respect, empathy, and the right tone are paramount.
- Company Values: Offboarding is the lasting impression you will leave with these employees. Infusing it with your company values helps you positively color the experience.
- Exit Interviews: Learn from your exiting employees about how you can improve the employee experience.
How can Click Boarding help?
Click Boarding is the industry leader in seamless remote employee offboarding. Our mobile-first platform integrates directly with your HRIS and enables your organization to provide a compassionate, compliant offboarding experience every time.
Our platform can help you:
- Create custom, consistent offboarding experiences
- Provide clear communication over email or text, ensuring your offboarded employees get the right information at the right time
- Build customizable messaging, enabling you to manage the tone and content
- Establish an effective offboarding process that includes all relevant teams (IT, security, data management, compliance, HR, and more)
If you’d like to learn more about how offboarding can increase boomerang employees and referrals, mitigate your risk, and improve your employer brand, our team would be happy to chat.