Top 3 Tips to Boost Employee Engagement
01. Start with Expectations
Expectations include, but are not limited to:
- Explicit and Implicit job functions
- Standard working hours
- Team and community participation
- Quality of work
How to Set Expectations
- Define and discuss what’s expected of their role and their team.
- Make sure new hires understand why these expectations are in place and their impact on the organization
- Showcase past examples of stellar performance
- Provide feedback whenever possible to help them stay aligned
02. Give Them the Tools They Need
If you need new hires to shoot for the moon, don’t hand them an old cardboard rocket. Give new hires the tools, materials and information needed to do their jobs appropriately from day 1, and you could see an 11% increase in profitability, and a 27% improvement in quality.
- Request input from employees and act quickly
- Be honest about what can be provided and what can’t be provided. Be sure to tell them why.
- Get creative! There may not always be budget for the materials and information new hires need, but remember that there are a number of free resources online, through the community, or even in the office – you just need to look
03. Encourage Development
Development and career growth isn’t necessarily synonymous with “promotion.” Development is understanding an employee’s talents, and pushing them to pursue roles, projects, or opportunities to build on their strengths.
How to Focus on Development
- Define attainable goals for the employee and monitor their progress
- Make the discussion surrounding their growth an ongoing and collaborative process
- Create opportunities for employees to be challenged and acquire new skills
If you want more information on how to improve employee engagement, feel free to reach out to one of our onboarding experts, or check out our “How to” blog series so far. You’ll find all of the links below. Stay tuned for the final element next week!
How to Improve Employee Engagement
- Start with Expectations
- Focus on Productivity
- Allow Employees to Do their Best Work
- Give Praise
- Show You Care
- Encourage Development
- Make their Opinions Count
- Make the Mission Clear
- Focus on Quality
- Find Good Friends
- Talk Progress
Available as a complimentary download:
Infographic: The Impact of an Unengaged Employee
Infographic: 21 Tactics to Engage New Hires
Report: State of the American Workplace report