Remote I-9 Compliance Options
On March 20, 2020, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced flexible form I-9 compliance options during the unexpected COVID-19 pandemic.
At Click Boarding, we’ve been working with our I-9 partners to advance our eligibility verification capabilities. You can rest assured that our modern platform will enable your team to adhere to these new compliance standards.
DHS has made the following suggestions related to the three remote employee verification options. We’ve broken down key details below:
1. DHS Relaxation Policy
- Rather than inspecting Section 2 documents physically, employers may inspect remotely (video, fax, email, etc.).
- Employers must continue to obtain, inspect, and retain copies in a secure fashion.
- Employers will note “COVID-19” as the reason for physical inspection delay.
- Once in-person operations resume, verify physical documentation in person within 3 business days.
- Employers will note “documents physically examined” with the date of inspection.
2. Authorized Representative – Only available to companies operating remotely
- Designate an “Authorized Representative” to complete form I-9 Section 2 (any person assigned to complete and sign form I-9 on behalf of the candidate, excluding the actual new hire).
- While the candidate is physically present, the representative should review the I-9 form and identification documents, describe the documents and complete Section 2 certification.
- Employer is liable for any violations in connection with the form or the verification process.
3. Remote Notary – Temporarily unavailable due to COVID-19
- A notary public may be designated to remotely fill out I-9 Section 2 forms for candidate.
- While the candidate is physically present, the notary should review the I-9 form and identification documents, describe the documents and complete Section 2 certification.
- It’s important to understand remote form I-9 compliance options. Of course, it’s critical amidst COVID-19, but it’s also inevitable in the shift to a more virtual world.
- Let me know how we can help you adjust quickly and compliantly during this challenging time.
It’s important to understand remote form I-9 compliance options. Not only is it critical amidst COVID-19, but it’s also inevitable in the shift to a new, more virtual world.
If you’d like to learn more about the three flexible options for I-9 compliance, Click Boarding can help.