Remote I-9 Compliance Options
On March 20, 2020, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced flexible form I-9 compliance options during the unexpected COVID-19 pandemic.
At Click Boarding, we’ve been working with our I-9 partners to advance our eligibility verification capabilities. You can rest assured that our modern platform will enable your team to adhere to these new compliance standards, both for in-person onboarding and remote onboarding.
DHS has made the following suggestions related to the three remote employee verification options. We’ve broken down key details below:
- Rather than inspecting Section 2 documents physically, employers may inspect remotely (video, fax, email, etc.).
- Employers must continue to obtain, inspect, and retain copies in a secure fashion.
- Employers will note “COVID-19” as the reason for physical inspection delay.
- Once in-person operations resume, verify physical documentation in person within 3 business days.
- Employers will note “documents physically examined” with the date of inspection.
2. Authorized Representative – Only available to companies operating remotely
- Designate an “Authorized Representative” to complete form I-9 Section 2 (any person assigned to complete and sign form I-9 on behalf of the candidate, excluding the actual new hire).
- While the candidate is physically present, the representative should review the I-9 form and identification documents, describe the documents and complete Section 2 certification.
- Employer is liable for any violations in connection with the form or the verification process.
3. Remote Notary – Temporarily unavailable due to COVID-19
- A notary public may be designated to remotely fill out I-9 Section 2 forms for candidate.
- While the candidate is physically present, the notary should review the I-9 form and identification documents, describe the documents and complete Section 2 certification.
- It’s important to understand remote form I-9 compliance options. Of course, it’s critical amidst COVID-19, but it’s also inevitable in the shift to a more virtual world.
- Let me know how we can help you adjust quickly and compliantly during this challenging time.
It’s important to understand remote form I-9 compliance options. Not only is it critical amidst COVID-19, but it’s also inevitable in the shift to a new, more virtual world.
If you’d like to learn more about the three flexible options for I-9 compliance, Click Boarding can help.